Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dad took a turn for the worse today. We were over at his house around 2pm and Susan called this morning telling me he is delusional and not talking much. She put him on the phone and I had to talk first. He said "hi". I asked how he is and he said "I'm fine". Susan was able to get him some medication and the gastroenterologist said to take the meds for 24 hours and if he doesn't turn around then to come in tomorrow. The doctor says this is "typical" behavior for terminal liver disease. Susan fed him breakfast and by the time we were there this afternoon I was feeding him fruit. He would put some of the pieces on a toothpick into his mouth, but was unable to actually stick the fruit with the toothpick. He was able to lift a spoon into his mouth after I loaded it with chicken soup- very slowly. He was walking around but not able to hold very much in his hands. I have to admit this adds a little more stress to an already stressful time for us. We should know better- this has been a bumpy ride and we aren't even in India yet! I'm staying optimistic, but REALLY...
Susan called Wouter and told him dad's condition. He said he would call Dr. Gupta and let him know what's going on. We pray the medication will take full effect and have dad feeling better tomorrow. It would be a huge challenge to get him on the plane and have him like this for 19 hours. Neysa thankfully changed her flight so she can meet us in New York. She will then fly the long flight with us.
The whole family was able to stop by this afternoon. We had dinner together and we missed aunt Rosie who is on her way to Denver within the next few hours. Rita and Drina stopped by after all of us left tonight.
I really wish our trip wasn't delayed so he would get this sick, but maybe on the other end we will have our surgery a little faster. Perhaps we will become an emergency surgery since dad's not doing too well.
Keep dad in your prayers so he will come around by the morning. We asked him if it would be okay for him to get blessed before we leave and he said "yes". Sarah's dad, who is a minister is willing to come over tomorrow and give us a blessing before we leave. We called a catholic church to see if he could get anointed and had to leave a message.

5 comments:

  1. I'm praying for you guys. I love and miss you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to talk to Uncle Mike tonight. I tols him that our family will keep you ALL in our prayers. I am looking forward to keeping in touch vis this blog. Have a safe and hopefully, restful flight! Hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in my prayers and we'll send out some good ones from Mastermind tomorrow. Have a safe trip over and keep us posted!

    Much love and hope!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Al, Sandy and I spent a good part of the afternoon at the house with Renee, Susan and Mike. Rosie and James came around 2pm and Jen, John and Matt a little bit later and Rita after work. Mike improved dramatically since Sunday. He was very alert and knew what was going on around him. We were able to contact Monsignor Jones who came and gave him the annointing of the sick, along with a blessing for the rest of us. Now the long journey begins. My prayers are with Mike, Renee and Neysa as they travel these next 24 hours. May God be with them and watch over them. I love you guys!!! Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee,
    I just want to tell you that you are a real trooper and to let you know how grateful I am to you for all your unsolicited, generous and thoughtful help. This couldn't have come together so well without you.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete