Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Interesting Day

I began my day talking to Miguel about getting me a copy of his drivers license and a passport sized photo to go with the "letter of permission" he wrote for the board. We were finally able to get it together and off to Aarti for review. Aarti came into my room and asked me to come down to the Platinum Lounge so they can start the investigation part of the process. I had no idea what this meant. I grabbed all the paperwork we had brought, my passport and my laptop just in case I needed it. She had me meet with a man who asked me a few questions to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into. It was pretty simple. I also filled out my hospital file information and I was questioned about my family history. Yesterday Aarti gave me a "family tree" that I needed to fill out. It was a blank piece of paper with someones notes and it was a little difficult to understand. Aarti asked why I didn't put my mom's name on this and I told her there wasn't a space for it-Apparently I didn't understand the "family tree" she had requested. So I put my mom down as an emergency contact and suddenly Aarti knows I have a mother. :)STRANGE... Anyways, Aarti also told me I need to do a CT Scan and Ultrasound and I informed her that one of the doctors already asked me to do it and both of them have been done. She questioned if I paid out of pocket and then said it was included in my dad's package. So I asked her to refund the money I spent for my testing. Apparently there was a little miscommunication, or someone was jumping the gun. So, if you ever come here to do what I'm doing through WorldMed Assist then you should know this. I guess I'm ahead of the game. Tomorrow I go for blood work in the morning and a MRI on Thursday evening. I've come to realize that most of the staff (excluding doctors) speak just enough English to get by in their job. If you throw them a curve ball they don't really understand. Dad's been requesting ice water since we got here and has only gotten his point across to one housekeeping person. I'm getting a little sleepy and dad and Neysa are both passed out in the room. We were just talking today about how spoiled we are with afternoon naps, movies and vegging out. We look forward to our meals to sample the interesting things they bring.

4 comments:

  1. It's a little after 10:00 a.m. Tues morning here in Colorado, so guess it must be after 10:00 p.m. in Delhi?? Sandy & I just read your "Doctors Update" and "Interesting Day" updates. Thank you so much for the interesting posts you are making available to all of us here at home. The time difference from there to here and your comments about all the interesting things you're experiencing remind us about how far away you are. On the other hand, it's interesting to know how similar things are over there as far as your hospital experiences. Swedish Hospital in Englewood is likewise using different colors to identify where people work, i.e. RN's wear one color of scrubs, lab personnel wear another color, etc. We pharmacists that wear scrubs, wear light blue. The news about Mikes serum creatinine levels was good to hear. I'm sure that Dr Gupta explained that those levels refer to renal function (how well the kidneys are working). You had mentioned in an earlier posting that the condition of Mikes kidneys was worrisome, so this tells us that they are monitoring that situation and that things are looking up. All in all it seems you are still feeling good about the care being given to all of you, and from everything we're hearing, it sounds like everything is being handled very much as it would be over here. Since you three have been over there, we seem to have become more inquisitive about everything we see regarding India. We watched "The Amazing Race" on television a few evenings ago. That particular leg of the race was across India and we saw just exactly what you mentioned regarding the oxen, camels, chickens,lumbering overloaded buses,and speeding junky cars & rickshaws going every which way on the "roads". The traffic there, as well as the poverty, very much remind me of what it was like in Korea when I was there during my military days. The "aroma" in the air which you described, also brought back memories of Korea. When Sandy & I passed through Mexico City on our way home after your wedding in Cabo, Neysa, we saw some of the same. Sandy had never experienced anything like that in her life. Makes us realize how truly blessed we are to live like we do. Another thing which you are becoming very educated about is the drastic difference in the lifestyles of the "haves" and the "have-nots". You alluded to this in your description of the palaces which are surrounded by shanty-towns. As you have noted, the professional people, doctors, nurses, engineers, scientists, business people, etc. are extremely well educated and are as good as one could get anywhere in the world. That you are there on a medical mission, you have to feel comfortable that you are in good hands. As mentioned before, we continue to think of you and pray for you.

    Our Love, Uncle Al and Aunt Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you guys! I'm glad you're so in tuned! It is an interesting place to say the least. As I was lying in bed last night I was picturing the sound of a swarm of bees and associated it with the traffic outside the balcony. Oh yeh, forgot to tell you we have a balcony. We can't get out, but we can look out. We've found it a continuous challenge to get ice water here and are quickly learning how fortunate we are in the states. We aren't using any of the water in the bathroom to consume and we brush our teeth like we're camping. Dad mentioned how the ice cream he got last night was nothing like Cold Stone. I wanted some coffee from the coffee shop and went down there at 8am and they were not open yet. WHAT???

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello family!
    I am so glad to hear that you are well underway in the process to get to the much anticipated transplant! Uncle Dave, Aunt Joyce, DJ and Alli were here at our house for dinner tonight and we were all discussing how nice it is to be able to be current on all of the happenings and experiences as they occur. My Mom was also able to get a blogger ID today so she does not have to rely on us reading her your updates in order to keep up. Thanks for taking the time to fill us in!
    We continue to pray for you all and are confident that all of our prayers will soon be answered. Uncle Mike, you will be scooping Coldstone @home soon and Renne & Neysa, enjoying your favorite coffee beverage as early as you like as well. Hugs & kisses......Jennifer & Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup! Pretty blessed WE ARE! Yesterday, I went to see Rubin at Rose Med. Cntr. as he had an appendectomy on Sunday..He looked well, all things considered..we had a nice visit for a litle more than an hour or so. Afterwards, I thought I'd walk over to see Rich Suazo at the VA Hosp..but didn't find him there. I really hadn't known about his condition with the virus he contracted, until just a couple of wks ago, when Mike told me about him! Anyhow, I had his son's ph.#, so called and he told me I could come see his dad today, so I went this morning. He wasn't feeling well, as his catheter was not draining properly, and as of my 9:30 a.m. visit, his nurse hadn't shown up, and they were trying to figure out who to call. I visited with Rich for about 15, 20 mins., but he wasn't doing too well, although I have nothing to compare his state of being to, as this is the 1st time I have seen him since he's been ill..He told me of his plasma transfusion, and that it's been 4+ mos. since he got sick! He was very limited in the length of his sentences, and had to stop sometimes, as he was out of breath...or energy...I tried to do most of the talking, but he was very curious about Mike's condition, and said to say "Hello" if we talked! I'm glad I went to see him, and he seemed very grateful for the visit. I took him a card, and a couple of cool fake roses that had petals made out of wood shavings, (Balsa?) and were dyed to look real. He really liked them! I don't know the zip code you guys, but the address is:1576 W. Alaska St. I'm sure he would enjoy getting other cards and sentiments, as mine seemed to be the only one there. Poor guy, I wonder if HE has insurance! I met "The kids mother"...she was very sweet, and cordial with me--her name was Rita too! Both Rich Jr., and his son, (Rich also!) were there too..they all say "Hi", to you all in India, and say that you are "All in their prayers" too.
    Well, it's probably your lunchtime there, in India, but I'm yawning away here at HOME...so goodnite all, and know that you remain in my prayers, with Love, and Light! Your Sister, & Auntie Rita

    ReplyDelete