Friday, March 27, 2009

Review board yesterday

We've had a busy couple of days now and yesterday Neysa and I went to the market to do some shopping. It was very interesting because they had everything from sandals to a butcher shop. We chose not to go too far into the butcher shop because neither of us really wanted to see it. (Not to mention the smell was awful!) We got as far as the chickens and the rooster all caged up waiting for their day to come. We were surrounded by fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts and spices. We met Amy and two of her kids at the market. She explained that she loves coming to this market because they can find things they can't normally get in the grocery store. Something like Diet Dr. Pepper and soft toilet paper is a novelty around here. The walls were stocked with boxes of dry food that we can find anywhere in the states. Neysa and I then went to another market where we bought pashmina scarves and Neysa bought me a beautiful aqua marine ring to remember her and out trip whenever I wear it.

Yesterday evening dad got drained again because they wanted to check to see if the infection was gone yet. The Doctor told him he could take just the sample, or since they're already in there they can also drain him. Dad chose to be drained. It's really amazing how big his belly gets. We give him a hard time about having quadruplets in there. We don't know the results of this test yet. We did however receive some great news about the creatinine level in that it has dropped again to 2.4. We are almost there and want to be at 1 by Monday. Neysa and I have been feeding him hepatic (like ensure) and vitamins (Dr approved) to help with this. Not to mention all your prayers are helping!

Yesterday evening we went in front of the review board where we sat at a huge table in front of 9 people who asked us questions. The event was video taped with the video pointing on us. Dad went in first and was out within 3 minutes. He says they asked "How many children do you have" and one of them is the donor? He said "Yes, Renee is the donor". Then they took him out. When I went in they asked a few more questions. They asked "How many siblings do you have?" They asked "Are you donating a part of your liver on your own free will?" "They asked if my husband gave me permission to do this and if he had any objection. They looked in the file at the letter he provided and said they needed it to be a little more detailed and they wanted it to be notarized along with a passport sized photo attached. They reassured me this would not hinder the process any longer but that I should get this paperwork in ASAP. I immediately went back to the room and called Miguel at 7am to request the information. I found it very interesting that they had one of the members on the review panel said "she has more responsibility to her husband than to her father". That's why it was so important to have this information. They then proceeded to ask if my husband was here and where my mother was. I answered that they were back at home. This morning I received the notarized letter from Miguel and forwarded it onto the department. We should be all set!

I completed my last test today- an MRI. It was interesting. I would recommend that if you have any type of claustrophobia that you keep your eyes closed the entire time. I only opened mine once when I got into the tube and I regretted it a little bit. They kept me in that tube for about 40 minutes. It wasn't horrible, I just had to concentrate on my breathing even though they told me "breave nomal". When I breathed normal I guess it wasn't good enough, so I really had to pay attention to my breating. Then they would say "stop breave" I was given head phones to protect my ears from the noises that were created by the machines. When I got out of the machine the man told me "you take short brefs" I told him that was normal breathing for me. I got up and went to the cafe for some cappuccino and a cheese danish (not what I expected but good). Then we took dad for a walk. It's been raining a bit today and the temperature was pleasant.

6 comments:

  1. Good Morning Renee, Neysa and Mike! Today was the big day for Dylan to leave on his trip to Europe. We were a little worried yesterday because of the weather here in Denver. We probably have at least 12" here at our house. It was a crazy day...we had just a dusting when I left to work in the morning and by 12n, it was piling up and a lot of businesses were closing. I left work around 12:20 and didn't get home until close to 3p. Dylan's flight was at 8:10am this morning, so we left at 4:50a and had no issues getting to the airport. It even looks like his flight left 2 min early... Yippee!!!! He flies out of Denver to Boston for their flight to Frankfurt, then on to Prague. I am very relieved to see that they got out of Denver.

    I am also relieved to see that Mike's levels are still coming down. I will continue to pray that God will keep watch over each one of you and give you strength to make it through this coming week. It will be a week full of anxiety for all of us, but I know especially you guys. Just think, in a week from now, you guys will have gone through the worst and will be on your way to recovery! Love to all - Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri and are following your blog regularly. What a great tool to keep everyone informed of your experiences.

    We are continuing to pray for you. It sounds like you are doing very well and keeping your spirits up. Stay positive. It appears the testing phase is nearly over and you will get on to ultimate goal of the surgery.

    It is funny to ready your descriptions of India. We get emails from Kelly and Amy periodically, and they describe many things in exactly the same way!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss you Renee! The review process seems weird, but I guess some people would PAY for an organ, hope your papers come soon and that nothing gets held up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day you all! I too am glad that you are keeping your spirits up! I'm sure it is hard, when you have so much outside the hospital to explore, and have to spend so much time right there in the hospital! But really glad that you ARE taking advantage of the times available for adventure! I'm sure your photographs will be wonderful upon your return! Such a blessing to have friends there through Pat & Terri!
    I pray that your energy remains steady Mike-I'm sure that as time grows short, it becomes increasingly hard to be patient. But hang in there! You too Miss Renee-"Breave easy! and focus on the surgery as if it is already done---in PERFECT ORDER!! NO HITCHES!!! This will help your process, and your healing! We sure love you, and are so proud of you for taking this on!
    Leaving Questa today...as always I always have a hard time going back to the city. But today is the last day of my Spring Break!
    The storm on Thursday, and the beauty of it on Friday, inspired me to write. So I want to post it for anyone who wants to read it...It's for all of you--but especially for Nathan, who also likes to write poetry, and who recently has been published in a compilation of poetry called, The Pine Tree Collection, Of his fellow students at his school. (Although the poem was written when he was in the third grade, it was just published in '08). Nathan is Renee's & Neysa's second cousin from Albuquerque, NM., and is in the fourth grade now.
    Here is my poem:

    AN ORDINARY DAY

    As I wake to the dawn of an ordinary day,
    With a yawn & a blink and a sigh,
    I feel the cold hanging - here in my room --
    Working in from the storm gone by.

    My ears are in awe of the silence they greet,
    Like the stillness I view out the pane,
    Not a trace of the wind - or a track
    in the snow,
    As I follow the trees down the Lane.

    My eyes --- here fixed on the pureness,
    Of the freshly fallen snow,
    I now feel the warmth of my Sister's house,
    See the "Works" of the winds that blow.

    The snow,like the "graying" of "Ancient Ones"
    There ~ Atop the Winter Sage,
    Reminds me of the many years,
    We have grown like them - How WE age!

    Tendrils of smoke from a chimney near,
    Wrap themselves in a cloak from the cold,
    Tumbling out from the fire within,
    Toward the Sky; Makes a Statement So Bold!

    Oh The Smoke to my nose is as sweet as a
    Rose!
    In the crisp early hours of dawn -
    How it Shouts to the silence in the Season of
    Spring,
    That the Season of Winter is gone!!!

    Nearer as the Sun breaks over the hill, The blue - crisp colors turn to rose,
    Like the prayer on my lips it lingers so soft
    Turning gold withe the Sun as it glows.

    Drifts, like the waves on a restless sea -
    Now frozen, in motionless fury...
    Glistening there, 'neath the rising sun -
    Unaware of the past night's slurry.

    Whispering steam rises up from the ground, The temperatures rise withe the Sun...
    It speaks to my eyes, like memories passed -
    Of the Winter - which SHOULD now - be DONE!

    Two grey doves with wings of white,
    Soar swiftly from a tree above...
    So close in flight - they pass me by -
    Reflecting their Vows of Love!!!

    Against the shroud of winter white,
    On this early Springtime morn,
    They fly as if to Remind me:
    That with each day, "New" Loves' Born!

    The pi~non bush is peeking out,
    It's needles so green 'gainst the white, It houses and perches the small
    striped birds,
    While they contemplate their fight!!!

    Chickadees dart in their miniature swarms -
    Little armies in search of provisions.
    Complaining, attacking -the feeder
    which hangs ---
    ---Window-framed in this Wintery Vision.

    The Red-winged Blackbirds are lined on the
    fence...
    They too have come out of their beds -
    They know...where to go...to be fed!

    The snows melt now from the rooftops' edge,
    Slick icicles - watery spears...
    Speaks to the anxious Tulips below,
    Relieving their Springtime Fears!

    Melting the ice - and the fear of a drought,
    Feeding the Earth - Turn to Green,
    Just in the hours of An Ordinary Day,
    Looking out - there's so much to be seen!

    Past the winds - of a stormy midnight...
    Past the cold of an unwanted storm...
    Toward the Suns of a Hundred Springtimes -
    And the blooming of dreams as they form...

    In the solitude here - free of worry & care,
    (There's no need to indulge in "the rest" -
    For my Heart feels the Love in the things
    which exist,
    ...Through the frame of my window - I'm Blessed!

    Love Rita, 03/29/'09

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear family this is nathan. I hope everybody enjoyed this peom as much as i did,i hope my uncle Mike and my cousin Renee come home soon, safe and healthy!! i loved your poem aunt Rita, that was quite a snow storm. LOVE,Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a talented writer. That was truly amazing. xoxo, Neysa

    ReplyDelete