Monday, March 23, 2009

Neysa's take on India






I think one of the things I find most fascinating about India is that it has such a strange dichotomy about it. It’s like going back in time one hundred years. With the emergence of a strong middle/upper class, and more focus being directed at their educational system, technology and modern necessities are becoming quite readily available. From what I've seen, there really aren’t “good” or “bad” parts of town. You will see a huge gated mansion with security, guards and barbed wire around the walls- then the next block will be people living in shacks and washing in the river.

I have visited a lot of places and I must say that the driving experience here is one of the most bizarre. First off there are only three lane highways that seem to fit 5 rows of cars, rickshaws, huge busses full of people and livestock, motorbikes, bicycles, tractors, oxen-pulled carts and yesterday I even saw two camels... all on the highway together. It’s quite dangerous because everyone is going different speeds and swerving in and out. I just close my eyes and pray that we don’t hit anything or anyone. None of the roads are straight so I never know where we are going. But I do love watching out the window and watching as the world goes by.

The poverty here seems to be worst than anywhere else I have ever been. Of course I say that every time I visit a place where there is a lot of poverty. But there are shanty towns everywhere, even in the middle of the highway. While stopped at a light yesterday I noticed a man with leprosy on the side of the road begging for money. A lot of the people who beg here are handicapped in some way and leave their severed appendages out so they are visible. It’s really sad and disturbing and they are forced to be so vulnerable in order to be efficient in begging for money. They will come right up to the car and stare at you until you give them something. But the worst is all of the children running in and out thru traffic begging for money and food. I don’t know if giving them money helps them or hinders them by encouraging them to continue putting them selves in such danger. Nonetheless, it is a good lesson in humility and definitely puts life into perspective.

Well I have to go. I think my dad is waking up and we want to go for a little walk today to stretch his legs. I love you guys and will write more later.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!! It sounds like such a culture shock! You paint such a vivid picture though...seeing all those different forms of "transportation" at once must be a sight!
    You are in my thoughts every single day! I am glad to know that you are doing alright and we all hope you can get your dad the medical attention he needs and both of you get home healthy and as quick as possible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! Yeh, it's been an experience. My dad is already getting the medical care he needs. It's been great! If I don't talk to you before convention, have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lovely Neysa! I'm so glad to hear of your adventures! Just hopped on the blog,since your mom had it up, so seeing it for the first time. I'm on Spring Break from CEC, and may not jump on for a few more days,as I'm heading to Taos tomorrow...but am enjoying both of your stories alot! Got to Skype from Renee's, with your mom and Miguel a couple days ago, and was glad to see Mike looking pretty good, so early in the morn! Wished you had been there too! Be careful in your travels Honey, sounds like Terri & Pat's friends are helping you out there...How Wonderful! Love you much! Aunt Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning little song bird!! I wasn't sure if I had the correct email address for you so I did a search and what a pleasant surprise that your blog popped up! By the way, did you ever get the information I gave Renee for the blog and forum I made for your dad after the family meeting? Anywho, YOUR blog is WONDERFUL and it looks like you have yet another beautiful set of photos to add to your amazing travel journal!!! I spoke to my mum this evening and she said your dad and Renee were having the procedure today (probably as I type) and I wanted you to know that I love all of you very much and have been sending you numerous angels and asking for tons of strength, health and healing to follow all of you on this trip. I just got off work, I'm not really sure what time it is there, it's 2a here so hopefully you receive this within a reasonable amount of time. How are you holding up? I know you're probably so exhausted from all of the emotional stress you're experiencing, but your entire network of family and friends are sending all of you so much love and many prayers right now that hopefully you can feel the positive energy encompassing the 3 of you. I'm working a tremendous amount of hours right now and I know that I've not been able to see you these past brief stops you've made through CO, but I want you to know that I love you, Renee and your dad VERY much!!! It was wonderful to spend some time with your dad before they left. I went to see him the evening he had all of us scared, right before the trip. He was so sleepy and in and out of consciousness, but I sat with him for an hour or 2 just holding his hand and running my fingers through his hair...I swear he knew I was there. One may never know, but I loved being there with him. I stopped in to see him the night before they left as well to give him plenty of hugs and kisses. It was quite sweet, for the first time in many years he held my hand and smiled at me as though he truly understood how much I love him. Good night angel, I love you all! Please kiss your sister and your dad for me. xo Drina

    ReplyDelete