Tuesday, April 21, 2009

2 weeks after Liver Transplant surgery

Neysa and I went to the hospital yesterday and I was able to get my bag removed. We met with Dr. Gupta and he says he wants to wait and see what the kidneys are going to do. Ideally he wants to wait 4-6 months because he feels they are making some improvement. We asked why dad was still in ICU and he said because the nurses are having to do a lot for him. Neysa agreed and assured Dr. Gupta that she can take care of dad in a regular room and we all agreed that it would be better for him mentality. So, Dr. Gupta said they would do one more dialysis and then tomorrow (today) he will be moved into a room. Neysa was able to get "special permission" to go see him for a few minutes. He appears to be doing better. 

We called this morning and were told to come to the hospital this evening. I really hope it will happen today! Dad is really wanting to get out of there.

Neysa and I have tickets to return to the US on 2/28/09. Neysa has to leave at that time because her month of May is full of weddings. I on the other hand am trying to see how much longer I can stay to support dad. We have asked Uncle Dave to come out early May and we're hoping that our trips will overlap some so we can show him the ropes. Amber is making some confirmation calls for me for parties I have in May and I'm trying to keep that in perspective. She says my first party is the 7th but I'm sure I could find someone to cover it if need be. I would rather not leave dad by himself here and with the help of flight attendants and the airlines I'm sure I will be able to fly alone. I am not able to lift much right now and will not be able to carry much of anything onto the plane by myself. 

Aunt Suzi- maybe you could check to see the availability I have to postpone my ticket? You can just send me an email. Thanks!

As far as my recovery goes- I am getting around just fine. I feel I walk with an "old lady lean" to the right side so I got an abdominal support belt to wear. It seems to help the strain on my back where I feel pain come and go. I actually slept the whole night without getting up! I find sleeping on my left side easier than anything. I can't really lay on my right side or stomach yet. I'm learning how to eat again with 1/2 the liver and wished they would have explained it to me before. I didn't realize that the liver processes all the food you eat and when you only have 1/2 the liver you can only eat 1/2 the food. (I wouldn't recommend it for a crash diet though). I would imagine it's a lot like having 1/2 the stomach. So I've been eating little snacks (meals) about 5-6 times per day.  Currently they have me on 3 medications: Oflox, Zevit and Pantocid DSR. I'm off the pain pills now!

2 comments:

  1. "Two weeks after liver transplant surgery"...
    Thinking back of all the anxious moments, waiting for news on the updates, reading comments from everyone who is supporting all three of you, and all the time praying for a good outcome, it seems like a lifetime since this drama began unfolding. When we really stop to think, however, it is truly amazing that you are out of the hospital, Renee, and well on the road to recovery. That Mike is being moved out of the Intensive Care Unit and that his kidneys are showing signs of improvement and that topics such as "airplane rides home" are starting to appear in your updates, are truly encouraging. Who said that all those prayers wouldn't be heard? Two weeks is actually an incredibly short time for everything to happen as it has happened when the scope of this surgery is considered. Yes, I think all the prayers are being heard. We're not out of the woods yet, so we can't stop praying and asking for help...
    but a few prayers of thanks for getting us to this point might be in order. Good to hear your reports Neysa and Renee, and anxiously awaiting another cameo appearance ot the 2 (or maybe 3) "Indian Movie Stars"!!
    All our love,
    Al and Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly good news! Yes, remember to send prayers of thanks for all that has happened thus far!

    Ruben also lost his bag yesterday, Monday. He says he slept so much better. So, now the recovery continues for all of you! Two weeks is remarkable for you and your dad to see how well it sounds you are both doing! Thank you so much for the update on how this process is going. How long does it look that your dad may be staying in India? Is there any idea of a plan A & B? I'm sure it depends on the possibility of a kidney transplant or not.

    Rick checks the blog every night before he goes to bed to let me know if you have updated at all. I check during the day and so we are usually pretty caught up on each entry. Please know we are sending our love to the three of you.

    Love, Aunt Cecilia & Uncle Rick

    ReplyDelete