Friday, April 10, 2009

Victory Lap

Renee took a victory lap around her room today while they changed her sheets. She is able to sit up almost all by herself and is getting her appetite back. Before long she will be doing cart wheels in the hallways.

They say my dad is doing a little better today after the kidney dialysis. He may need to do it 1-2x a week until they start functioning properly. So it is to be expected that there will be good days and bad days, but hopefully more good than bad for a while - then just all good. The dialysis machine is so crazy looking. It reminds me of a pin ball machine or something. It's kind of bizarre to see the blood going thru tubes in this machine and pumping at the same rate as his heart. He said he's feeling better today but still had a hard time keeping his eyes open while I was there. The room they have been keeping him in has been a temporary ICU while they disinfect, steralize and fumigate the real ICU on the 4th floor. I guess that would explain the disarray I found the first time visiting. I wish they would have explained that a little better. Anyhow, I told them that I will be there to help him move, so I am expecting a call around 10-11. It's a good excuse to see him again and to make sure the new ICU is up to my standards.

5 comments:

  1. It's just before midnight Friday night here. I've been trying everything I can think of to rectify the audio problem we're having with Skype. It was great seeing both you and Renee, Neysa. Renee looked terrific and her smile spoke volumes. Again, I could both see and hear you perfectly, but too bad that on your side, you only had a "near Skype experience"!!! I had spoken to your Mom this morning. She had some questions regarding the dialysis process, and I think she felt better after our conversation. She will be happy to see your report above, that the plan is to dialyse 1-2x a week until the kidneys start functioning properly. She will be spending Easter with us, which will be nice. Again, you both looked fantastic on skype. Keep your spirits up...Your Dad should be perking up soon, as well.
    Our love,
    Al and Sandy

    PS The Rockies beat the reining world champion Philedelphia Phillies 10-3 this afternoon in their home opener. The weather was beautiful and it was a great game (for Rockies fans)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on walking baby. I Know you will be doing cartwheels in time. I can't wait to take you out to dance some cumbias. I love you baby.
    Love Miguel

    ReplyDelete
  3. renee i love you and miss you so much we are all so proud of you and your recovery i always told you were amazing told you so who else do you know who can do all of this you are wonderful and we love and miss you so very much.mike i love you and wish you the best too and things are gointg to be better in a couple of days we all are praying for you too both conitinue to do well and come home everyone misses you all so much.and neysa renees sister you truely are a amazing women for you to be there with your father and sister through every hour every minute plus keep everyone informed you are the bomb..you seem like a very strong women and just keep your head up when times seem crazy and we all love and miss you so very much..can you do me a favor can you give renee a big hug and let her know we love and miss her so much and please do the same for your father.we love you have a great day....jennifer brooks and family and all the slumber parties friends....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning
    As always, went to the blog first thing when I woke up. The victory walk is good news. Baby steps to your recovery. Keep up the good work.
    Sounds like it will be a little longer for Mike to be on his feet again but it will be there before you know it. Just keep on doing what you are doing and being there for him.

    As Al and Sandy said, I'll be with them for Easter Sunday. It will be nice to be around family. I will miss being with you guys.
    Love you -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Renee! This is great news! It is good to see that you are making such great progress. How long did they originaly guess it would be for your recovery?
    Mike, it great to hear that the dialysis is something that may be a temporary thing. We pray it will be.
    Neysa, you are doing a great job keeping us all up-dated. you and Renee have great writing skills! The blog is usually minimized at work and at home so I can check on you in a click. Can you imagine doing this a few years ago without the technology we have to keep us so close? It would have been unbearable on both sides of the earth, I'm sure!
    Keeping you in our hearts and prayers,
    Uncle Rick, Aunt Cecilia and boys

    ReplyDelete